Immanuel Lutheran Church

 

3000 West Main Street

Kalamazoo, MI 49006

(269) 345-8090

THE
LUTHERAN CHURCH
Missouri Synod

Water

Peace in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit to all. “But whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” (John 4:14 ESV). Water is a precious, vital resource essential to life. Water to the body is as important as prayer is for the soul. The earth is often called the water planet. The months of July and August are usually hot and water is very essential for our bodies to be healthy. Let us focus on water and its uses. Some facts about water are: 97% of the water on earth is salt water. The remaining 3% is in groundwater and locked up in the icecaps. North a

Luther and Struggel

Luther and “Struggle” It is one of those words that doesn’t translate perfectly from one language to another. It is a word Luther used to describe his personal spiritual struggles and then used to help us understand our spiritual faith and life— in the good and bad of it all. The word Luther used is “anfechtung” in German. Before I attempt a definition I should point out that Luther typically studied, taught and wrote in Latin. While preparing a sermon on a Romans text I found a Catholic commentator quoting Luther saying in Latin, baptizatus sum… “I am Baptized.” The same commentator then quoted him in German, werde das, was du bist… ‘become what you are.’ The difference, with exceptions, is